Monday, May 14, 2007

Our New Home!!!


Yeah, we finally closed on our home! We have been waiting FOREVER (at least it seems like it anyway) to buy a home in Utah. Weve been looking for over a year and nothing ever quite felt like the right home. Matt's grandparent's lived in the home next door to Matt's parents in Orem, UT, and we've always thought it would be a dream to buy that house. It's a cute little rambler with a big wrap around porch in the front. For us, it is in the perfect location, a quiet culdesac, within biking and jogging distance to the trail that takes you up Provo Canyon. It's near family and dear friends, and in a ward we absolutely love. It is so close to everything. We have been truly blessed, more than we could ever imagine. It is a dream for us to be able to buy this house. We are so excited and we just keep pinching ourselves hoping this is real!

This post is mostly for my parents in Texas who haven't been able to see the inside of the house, so bear with me as I explain our plans for each room.


The family room is HUGE!! With nice big windows that let a lot of sunlight in. We are mostly doing cosmetic stuff in this room...paint, carpet, new window treatments, light fixtures, etc. We are replacing the fireplace. it is a wood burning right now, so we'll change it to a nice gas fireplace. We have plans to redo the mantel as well.


This is our entry way. Mostly cosmetic stuff here. Paint, refinsh the wood floors, etc. We have to get a new banister b/c this one has openings too big--a child could stick there head through the opening, not good.


The living room will be changing quite a bit. From the debri, you can see where we were banging holes in the wall to see if the corner wall was a bearing wall. Thank goodness it wasn't. We are going to take that out completely. We are also knocking out the wall that you see in the photo. That wall is shared by the kitchen. We are only knocking out half of the wall so I don't loose all my kitchen counter space. It will look really nice, I am most excited about this. From this architecture rendering, you can kind of see what I am talking about. The half wall on the right is the one that is shared by the living room. We are going to put some kind of decorative post on the end so it doesn't just stop.

border="0" alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5066870223249127986" />


Here is the current layout of the kitchen. From this rendering, you can see what our plans are. The only differences are that I am going to keep the stove-top where the oven is now rather than put it in the island, we'll keep about a 14 inch backsplash above the cabinets where we ripped out the half-wall (this rendering only shows cabinets, but there will be a small bit of wall beind it), put a nice decorative post in, and change the corner cabinet a little bit.




See how big it is mom? No need to have another dining area, there's plenty of room in here! =) We are going to take out the drop down ceiling too.


Mostly cosmetic stuff in here. This is the laundry/mud room. We'd like to build in a bench and some coat hangers and cubby holes so the kids can kind of have their own locker to put stuff in. Matt had that growing up and he really liked it. I think it is a great idea too, so we'll see what we can do. We are also going to take some of the exsisting cabinets from the kitchen and put them above the washer and dryer for more storage space.


This is the kids bathroom, it's right off the kitchen, across from the laundry room. It opens up to the kids bedroom as you can see. Mostly just cosmetic stuff, but we do need to replace the tub and toilet b/c of some mold problems. We'd like to redo the sink area as well, we'll see what our budget can afford.


Here's where Tanner and Kate will sleep. There are only two bedrooms upstairs, and I can't stand the thought of my babies sleeping down in the basement, so we'll do this for now and figure out what we'll do for more bedroom space upstairs when the 3rd comes. This room is pretty much just carpet and paint and new lighting fixtures.


The Master bedroom is HUGE!!! I don't know what we are going to do with all this space. This is the first room we've had since being married that makes our King size bed look small. We are jsut doing carpet and paint and new light fixtures in here for now. Maybe a few years down the road we'll be able to furnish it, make a nice sitting area, etc.


There's a lot we'd like to do in the master bath. Again, we'll see what our budget will allow. We'd like a new sink area and we'd like to put double sinks in. We'd also like to tear the sheetrock down by the toilet, switch the shower head to the other side, make the shower wall by the toilet a half-wall, put glass on that side and close in the shower with nice glass. I think this will open it up quite a bit. We'll see it that will work-that is a big project.


Finally, space and storage. I'm really excited about the master closet!!

For now we are doing nothing with the basement. The basement is a huge 2800 square feet, so we are just going to leave it as is and make it our little project down the road. (Way down the road) But I have ideas...


This room will become a movie theater type room with lots of seating and a nice big projection screen. Or maybe this will become a game room if we use the other big area for other things.


This room is gigantic, so we might make another bedroom down on the end and then make a fun playroom for the kids down here. Or maybe make it a game room with pool tables, ping-pong tables, that kind of thing. (That's what Matt would love). If I end up teaching Kindermusik on my own, part of this may become my studio. The door you see on the left about half-way down is another entrance from the garage. We could close that in and have that be my studio area. We'll see, there is plenty of space to work with.


We'll just make this into a guest bedroom where my parents can come and stay when they come to visit grandkids. Anyone else is welcome too!


Another guest bedroom down the road. Matt's grandparents built these shelves in here which are very cool! So for now it will probably be our storage room for Matt's climbing gear and holiday stuff.


Update and redo shower area, more mold problems in this bathroom.


This is a dream room! It is a cold storage room where we can put our year supply of food. There is a whole other side for water barrels too. We'll be all prepared in case of an emergency.


Here's our backyard, I love the views. We have a lot of ideas for back here too. But I think I've already beat the record for the longest post ever, so I'll leave that for another time.

5 comments:

Brynn said...

Wow! Looks like you've got your work cut out for you! We can't wait to see it (and you) in person. Keep us posted on the updates.

Ashley said...

Yae! I am so excited to see it all come together. I think I'm most excited to see your kitchen too!

jules said...

Wow it looks huge! I'm so jealous. Can't wait to see it.

Jenny-ology said...

wow a new home! congrats! looks like you are enjoying destroying it too. Does this mean you live in Utah again?

I started a new photo inspiration site that has a weekly theme, and we all post pictures based on that theme. You would love it. It is: www.photointerpretations.blogspot.com
everyone is welcome to play with us.

hope to get together with you soon


ps. the Benihana's is in Scottsdale, and another sometime soon in Chandler.

Holly said...

I just posted my house pics and then checked out your blog - you are so on the ball - I'm kind of embarrassed!?! The house looks great - I am so excited to see what you do with it. Congratulations on being Utah homeowners!