Saturday, March 15, 2008

My first Race!

One of my New Year's Resolutions this year was to train for and run a half-marathon. I have been training since January and I have little races here and there to track my progress. The Rex Lee 5K was one of those races, which I ran today.

Seeing Matt and the kids in the stands. Matt's parents were so sweet, they came to cheer me along as well (Lauren ran in the race too, but they were still extremely supportive). In this picture, I had just crossed the finish line, trying to breathe, make faces at the kids and pose for a picture all at the same time.

I ran for my Grandpa who is a 2-time Cancer survivor, the latest time just recently. Love you Grandpa!

As soon as Kate saw me, she wanted me to hold her. As soon as she got in my arms, she was giving me kisses. I love how kids make you feel like a rock star.


So, my goal was to run the 5K, which is 3.1 miles in 30 minutes. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that my race time was 28:27.96 seconds! I averaged a 9 minute 11 second mile! I was shocked, but that would explain why my legs were so tired when I finished. I've never run that fast for that long on the treadmill. But, now there is no excuse not to. I also finished 497th! (But out of 1532 people, that's not too bad). =) 

Here's Tanner making silly faces waiting for me to cross the finish line. He is such a funny kid! 

Over all, it was so much fun! I can't wait until my next race...a 10K in May!

9 comments:

Jessica said...

wow!!! good for you mary! that is awesome. you are an inspiration! the pics of your kids are soooo cute! they do make you feel great like the most important person ever.

Jenny-ology said...

A marathon! That is amazing! I am so impressed. I love the picture of you waving to your kids. That is amazing that your grandfather also ran!

L&H&Q&E said...

That's awesome! I hope I can do it next year...!

Ashley said...

Sweet! That is so awesome Mary. You are rockin' it. I can't believe you are running so fast now. I'm really starting to feel lazy now:) Maybe with this spring-like weather I should get off my lazy bum and start running again:) Oh btw, I LOVE Tanner's sweatshirt. Where did you get it?

Holly said...

This is fantastic! Good for you and congratulations on the great timing!

Kim said...

Mary, I am so impressed!! My goal was only to do a 5K, but I've got a long way to go before I ever get in shape for it! You are my inspiration now, though! Way to go!!!!

Megan said...

nice job mary!!

jules said...

Congrats! That is great...I have always wanted to run a race but have never gotten up the courage, fearing I'd come in last. Great job!

Clawson Family said...

Good job Mary, very impressive! You are such a dedicated person!